Monday, February 25, 2013

Skillet Macaroni and Cheese

As a kid I loved Mac and Cheese.  We don't like buying boxed dinners though, so I've been trying to find a Macaroni and Cheese recipe that I like, but all the baked ones are too dry for my taste.  This one is super easy and super creamy.  You can definitely use less cheese and it will still be great.  Another one from melskitchencafe.com


Ingredients
  • 3 1/2 cups water, plus extra if needed
  • 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 12 ounces (about 3 cups) elbow macaroni
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
  • 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small chunks
  • Ground black pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Bring 3 1/2 cups water, 1 cup of the evaporated milk, the macaroni, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and the liquid has thickened, 9 to 12 minutes.
  2. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup evaporated milk, the cornstarch, mustard and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
  3. Off the heat, stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust the consistency of the sauce (I didn’t need any additional water when I made it). Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Did you really love mac and cheese growing up? Don't you remember when Mike put blue food coloring in it? That one incident has scarred me for life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I really love mac n' cheese, and it's funny you should bring up the food coloring incident because I was going to mention that in my post! haha!!! try it again and you might like it :)

    ReplyDelete